WASHINGTON. The Justice Department Wednesday announced the indictment of 8 individuals for conspiring to work on behalf of the Chinese government.

The indictment was in response to a Chinese plan called “Operation Fox Hunt.” According to Justice Department officials, this particular operation had operatives engaged in a campaign to harass, stalk and intimidate Chinese citizens into returning to their home country.

“Operation Fox Hunt is just one of many ways in which China disregards the rule of law,” a Justice Department official said.

“We have turned the PRC’s Operation Fox Hunt, on its head. The hunters became the hunted. The pursuers pursued.” 

“For those charged in China and others engaged in this type of conduct. Our message is clear. Stay out, your behavior is not welcome here,” Demers said.

( Pequim – China, 24/05/2019) Chinese President Xi Jinping

FBI Director Christopher Wray added that the charges were the first of their kind.

“The FBI is proud to have this investigation culminate in criminal charges, the first of their kind, charges that will help China understand that surveilling stalking harassing and blackmailing our citizens and lawful permanent residents carries serious risks,” Wray said.

The FBI and Justice Department declined to comment on where the intel on Operation Fox Hunt came from other than to say that it had been brought to its attention while investigating other crimes involving American Citizens and China.

More indictments and arrests are expected the Justice Department stated.

The Chinese Embassy declined to comment on the indictments.